Wednesday 8 May 2013

Day0 LHR to Dallas via Atlanta



1800 - Atlanta Airport Domestic Terminal
So it's now 1800 local time and 2300 back in the UK it's fair to say that things are catching up with me! I have no doubt that just getting to tonight's hotel is going to be an emotional experience! The flight over the Atlantic whilst uneventful, was emotional in itself! The combination of a busy few weeks recently, and what I think must be the first stages of Man Flu made for a very uncomfortable journey, and the food offered by Delta could do with some considerable improvements. Nevertheless we finally touched down here in Georgia for a quick stop over, getting through Immigration was not as bad as I had prepared myself for, I think when you tell people the purpose of your visit is to chase one of the most powerful forces of nature on the planet they immediately feel sympathetic for the individual they see as a bit of a fruit cake (no doubt one or two of the few people that could be bothered to read this will agree with that assessment)! Regardless it was a pleasant surprise.

A few quick observations of America so far:

Everything is big. Small is not an option. Hardly the most surprising statement I admit but when all you're after is a small bottle of something to wash an ibuprofen down (did I mention the Man Flu?) and the smallest you can find is nearly 600ml just seems a tad unnecessary.

American Diet Coke tastes minging. A disappointing first purchase on American soil.

I have already been patronised by every female shop assistant that I have come across for saying 'cheers' in the place of 'thank you'. I swear one of them even described it as 'cute' to her friend as I walked away. Threaders.

American Kettle Chips are inferior to British Kettle Chips (2nd disappointing purchase).

Everyone is very polite. The whole time. Without exception, which is nice.

2230-Dallas
Arrived. Bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment